The Domains Protected Marks List (DPML) is operated by three registries (Donuts, Rightside and Minds + Machines) who manage over 250 new extensions such as .business, .email and .services.
The DPML enables trademark owners to block third parties from registering their trademarks as a domain in the extensions managed by these three registries.
A DPML block is a cost effective solution to protect your brand within a significant portion of new extensions.
Donuts - Domains Protected Marks List
Register your trademarks in DPML and save 5% to 10% of the cost of a normal Donuts domain name registration.
DPML is a five-year block for an exact match second level domain (SLD) across standard-priced Donuts TLDs. DPML subscribers can submit unlimited overrides of blocked terms, without incurring additional wholesale override fees.
DPML and DPML Plus offer cost-effective solutions that protect your brand’s trademarks, prevent cybersquatting and ensure that your domains are available for future use. With DPML and DPML Plus, you can easily and affordably block registrations of validated trademarks without requiring defensive purchases in each of Donuts’ 238 top-level domains (TLDs).
How Donuts' DPML options work
Donuts offers two products, it’s standard DPML in addition to its newer DPML Plus product which came onto the market last year. Regardless of which DPML product you choose, keep in mind that:
* DPML can only be applied to strings matching the strings in the TMCH.
* Your registered TMCH trademarks must remain current. DPML protection will end once your TMCH registration expires.
* DPML will not block a domain that is already registered. And once the registration expires, the DPML block will automatically be reinforced so as to prevent the name from being registered by the public.
* In rare occasions, DPML blocking is not applicable. For instance, it is not applicable to domains which have been classified as premium.
* The WHOIS directory will show you if a DPML block already exists for a specific domain and, if one has been applied, only trademark owners with a matching trademark can unblock it. So, for instance, if BESTCOMPANY A in Spain and BESTCOMPANY B in Italy have matching trademarks, one can unblock the other’s individual domain.
Donuts newer DPML Plus - previously offered for just a limited time but now a permanent option - provides trademark owners numerous additional benefits above and beyond those which come with the standard DPML.
DPML programs’ benefits are:
Expansive: Allows brand owners to protect more than just exact-match trademarks across Donuts TLDs with our enhanced coverage.
Easy: Protect your brand’s trademark term in as many as 238 domains in a single program. Domains blocked by DPML are not active.
Versatile: Brand owners can protect terms across all Donuts TLDs for up to 10 years.
Economical: DPML subscriptions are a fraction of the cost of typical defensive registrations.
DPML Plus is a ten-year block for an exact-match, second-level domain (SLD) across all Donuts TLDs that includes—for the first time—the ability for your client to block misspells of its mark at no additional charge.
Other unique benefits include:
the ability to block an exact-match mark plus three additional strings that contain the mark or are misspellings of the mark
more than three “contains” or misspelled strings can be added for an additional fee
blocks for all premium second-level domains
blocks are not subject to overrides by other parties with the same trademark, without the consent of the applicable DPML Plus block holder
the ability for subscribers to submit unlimited overrides of blocked terms (for no wholesale override fee) if the mark holder elects to register and use previously blocked terms*.
Client may add additional terms - over and above the three included in the DPML Plus package – for an additional fee per blocked SLD.
Donuts retains the right to review and approve all DPML Plus applications (e.g. registry may decline to block certain three-character and common dictionary terms).